Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Apology and EXCITING NEWS!

I've been beyond neglectful of this blog, and for that, I apologize. I have no legitimate excuses. I'm just lazy.

All of that is about to change, however, because… *EXCITING NEWS!* I'm part of a startup bookclub! EEEEEKKKKK!!!!

It all started last week when I met up with an old high school friend {we'll call her Penny}, who I haven't seen since our mutual high school friend {we'll call her Ally} got hitched five months ago. We got to chatting about work, life, love, and BOOKS! Suddenly, I had a light bulb moment, and blurted out, "WE SHOULD START A BOOK CLUB!"

A couple of texts to Ally, a long Facebook thread, and an initial meeting later, VIOLA! Our book club was born.

Last night was our first meeting at Ally's new house. There was soup, cupcakes, cider, and BOOK SELECTIONS! We each wrote down our picks in each of the following categories- fiction, nonfiction, and classic; put them on paper; and had Ally's hubby draw two slips from the pool.

Are you ready to find out which books were picked?! *drum roll, please!*

Jane Austen's Persuasion and C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity. Yes, two classics ended up getting picked, but honestly, I'm ok with that.



I LOVE Persuasion; it's one of my favorite of Austen's novels. I even own the movie. We're starting with this one first, and are breaking it up into two parts that will cover our next two meetings (we meet the first and third Tuesdays of every month). We'll go over discussion questions, watch the film, and maybe even enjoy yummy Austen-inspired food!

The second selection may be a little iffy for me. I remember having to read Mere Christianity in high school and college, but don't really recall many details from it. It just sounds dense and serious and … I'm ashamed to admit this… BORING. I'm hoping that even though it's a little bit heavier than a Jane Austen novel, I'll still be able to really enjoy it. I'm sure I will. I mean, C.S. LEWIS. Hello! It's bound to be a good read.

Anywho. Thanks for sticking around with me as I exhume and resume this blog. I'd love to hear from you! Any suggestions for our book club name? (Ally is currently cheering for "Bodacious Book Babes Book club"… clearly, we need your help, haha!) Who's your favorite character in Persuasion? Any encouragement on how I'm going to end up loving Mere Christianity?


Happy reading, guys! 

No comments:

Post a Comment